Skip to main content

Remember That Time? (Ch 1 : The Present)


Shira
, a girl from my class. She is really mysterious, with her black long hair that drops down to her shoulder , and eyes that are really sharp looking through your soul when you look at it. She always looks lonely, but it's not because she is bullied, I think it's because she is kinda hard to approach. She only talks when she needs to, like when the teachers are asking for an answer specifically to her, and i think she is smart too because she can answer every question correctly. Not that I like her or anything, but it just catches my attention, that there's a girl like that in our class, there's no one like that in my class before, maybe it's just a highschool thing?.

Yes, Im Haru, first year class 1A. And i just got into highschool recently. I met a lot of new friends as well, because I'm not from this region. My parents had to move because of their work, so i had no choice but to come along. But there's no hard feelings, i like it here. This is Shisui Highschool, a public highschool with diverse culture, because i used to lived on tightly knit neighborhood school where everyone knows anyone, but here in the big city of Kangou everyone has their own world, its really a big difference from what i've use to live on.

So my first week of my new highschool life really went well, but this girl named “shira” really took my attention, the way she talks when the teacher ask is just different? Dare i say mysterious?. When i ask the other about shira-san, nobody knows about her, no one goes to the same junior highschool with her i suppose?. So a week has passed and now its weekend, but my parent had to go to their job, so for entire day, i left alone. Not that im lonely or something, but i think its a waste of time to just sit inside my house when theres a new city to explore. So i ask my parents for permission to go outside, just to hangout with friends, I used excuse “hangout with friends” when in reality ill just go alone. Luckily they said okay but be careful and not to forget your ID card in case something unwanted happen, and always remember your home address also don't talk to strangers intimately.

So the journey begin to explore what kangou has to offer, so i took a train to the center of the city, and its still 9 AM, so not so many stores were open, so i decided to go the city park nearby, and just 5 minutes of walks, i arrived on the biggest park i've ever been. Its in the middle of a city but its still feels like im in the nature, with the cool breeze of the wind, and the shadow that created by the leaf of the trees also bird chirping on the background. As i walk down the path, i see a familiar face of a girl with black hair that drops down to her shoulder and that unforgettable sharp eyes, “isnt that shiira-san?” i thought to my self. To make sure that im not looking at the wrong person, i take a second look with a deep stare, and while im doing that, i don't realize that our eyes meet each others.

Her eyes undoubtedly beautiful and really sharp looking, and subconsciously i said “its pretty”, her facial expression changes from confuse to disgusted as im saying that, but i can see her cheeks slightly turns red after that, and then reality snap and i realize what i've just done and apologizing immediately, “a-aah, sorry for that, but are you shiira-san?” ask me, she nods quietly because i think she is still surprised, and i replied again “im haru, same class as yours, class 1A”, she then proceed to pack her things and wanted to leave that situation, but before she gets to, i subconsciously grab her arm and try to stop her, but that was a mistake...i think, so i said “i-im sorry, i just subconsciously doing that….im really sorry!”, without any second words or anything , she left. after that im trying to reflect on myself “why i did that stupid things though”, but on the bench where she sat on, i found a book, a little book, like a dairy book, i suppose it belongs to shiira-san, but i think its impolite to see whats the inside without the permission of the owner, right?.

So after that i continue my main goal to explore the city of Kangou, and i noticed that theres a lot of cafes, mall and stores not like my old city. And after feeling satisfied, i decided to go home, and its already 3 PM, iam hungry, i just ate bread for breakfast, and a hotdog when i was outside though, so maybe thats the reason why i feel so hungry, and so without a second thought, i go to the nearest supermarket to buy eggs and some smoke beef for lunch and maybe for dinner if my parents had not come back by then. And i cook fried rice for my lunch and it was so good, the egg and rice really went well together along with the chilli and the onion, i also added ketchup and hot sauce for my taste. 

And now its night before monday, and i remember about the diary, i really want to return the diary by tomorrow, but i also want to clear things up about grabbing her hands that time. And because im busy thinking for the right method, i fell asleep like theres no tomorrow, and wakes up late. I look at my clock and its already 6.30 AM, my class start at 7.15 AM, and going from home to school would take up 15 minutes normally without me taking a bath and preparing books for school and breakfast!. So i skipped breakfast and i only wash my face and teeth, not taking actual bath, and then i rush to school with my bicycle. And luckily i arrived on time, with only 30 seconds before the bell ring, man my second week start really poorly for me. But then theres shiira, still the way she is.

After the first period, I try to approach shiira-san and clear things up “umm, shira-san? Are you free right now? Do you have a moment?”, she looks at me and nods, so I think it's an approval maybe. I sit down in front of her “you know, yesterday, i really didn't mean to do that, i just really surprised that you were there”, she just stares “and i think there's something you left behind that day, let me grab it quick”, and i go to my desk to grab the diary. And when i look into my bag, the diary was not there, and i go back to shiira “ummm, i forgot to bring the diary..im sorry...but tomorrow for sure ill bring it with me”, her facial expression changes again, right now it more like she surprised yet confused, and unexpectedly she ask “what diary?....”, and i replied “the one with white cover and black side to it”, she grab her bag and she looks like searching for somethings that not there, and she ask me again 

“where is it now?”, 

“its in my house”, i answered

“Did you look into it?”  she asked

“No, it would be impolite, shiira-san its really rare for you to speak, so im glad that we are having a conversation, even though its about the missing diary”

“Where do you live?”

what ? why she ask my address out of the blue, “shiraa san, there's nothing to worry about, i will never look into that book if you are not allowing it, i will bring it tomorrow i promise”. And then with slight red face and soft voice, she ask

“You promise?”

“Yes i am”

Then she becomes quiet again, and the class is starting.


I can't focus on the class but to think about what the diary meant to her, she seemed really worried back then. And after school ends, it's 3 PM and today is my shift to clean the class,  but I can't believe that the shiraa-san shift is also today. It's a little awkward after what happened , we don't talk to each other. I kinda feel bad because i left her diary back home. But then, shiraa-san approached me and said “please bring that diary tomorrow, i beg you” grasping my arms, i was surprised that i couldn't respond properly and just nodded. And then she left afterwards. It really is a weird day. So i arrived at home, my parents are still at work so i have to make my own dinner as well today. After that i take a quick bath and thinking to go to bed early, but then i see the diary, even though i made a promise to not look into it without permission, after that kind of reaction that you got from the girl that took your attention, who wouldn't be dead curious about what's inside the diary?.

“God , please forgive me for breaking promises and just for this time, let me take a quick look.”

With hesitation, I open the diary and there's nothing, there's nothing inside the diary. Why? Why is Shiraa san really worrying about nothing? This must be a joke right?, then I sleep with huge disappointment, not because there's nothing inside the diary, but because I had to break the promise to see “nothing”. Ridiculous, I thought.

Then I wake up, and make sure I don't leave the diary behind again, because I think Shiira would lose her trust and be angry with me if I do so. Waking up early is really a pleasure because you get to take a proper bath or shower and proper breakfast. After that i'm off to school. I arrived at my class, but shiraa-san is not here yet, it's rare for her to not come early, because she always got here early, maybe even shiraa-san can be late, i thought. As the bell rang, she still was not here, and as the homeroom started and sensei arrived to do morning attendance, I noticed something strange, shiraa-san was not on the list, weird, maybe the teacher messed something up? It really bothers me. I ask Honoka-san, who's sitting in front of me, does she know what happened to shiira-san, but she remains silent, and just told me to keep quiet because the class starts soon, as expected from the class representative, quite strict with the rule. The class just goes like normal, everyone acts normal, it looks like nothing happened, where in my perspective there's two things that feel strange, first the fact that the teacher messed up the attendance and the fact that no one knows what happened to shiira-san. But i'm not going to overthink about it, maybe shiira-san just got sick or she has a family event that she can't avoid. The class comes to an end, and even though i'm trying to not overthink it, it still lingers in my mind. I walked home and cannot come with a conclusion to what just happened.

And its already the next day. And everything is still the same, shiraa-san is not here, the teacher is not calling shiraa-san name, and the class seems normal to everyone except me. And after the first period, i came to the teachers room and ask my homeroom teacher, 

“sensei, is there no news about shiira san?”, 

“Shiira-san?”

“Yes, you always skipped her name, and its already two days in a row”

“shiraa-san ..hmmm, as i'm clearly remember, there's no such student name like that in our class haru”

As shocked as iam, i cant believe what i just heard and just trying to process what sensei just said

“NO!, sensei, there is a girl with sharp eyes and black hair, she is shiira-san, i promised her to gave her diary back”

“If you that stubborn, i'll just let you see the list of student of class 1A, here”

And yes, Shiira-san is not on the list.

“b-b-but , sensei...the chair on the back, near the window, thats where shiira san always sit”

“Aah there, yes there is empty seat on our class haru, because i heard rumor about the student that died just a day before school year begin, so that's why we have extra seat”

…………………….

……….

….

What? Student? Death? Extra seat? No shit, that seat belongs to someone and that's shiira san...but i remain silent on the outside, because of how surprised iam. Then i begin my own researches, and the rumours were true, just a day before school days started, there is a girl who died because of a “attempted kidnapping” and she was raped and killed, and the body was found below the bridge near the river, identified as 15 year old girl with black hair. I was so shocked. Then I remembered about the diary, there should be something, a clue, something to prove that the girl who died was not shiira-san. So I open the diary again, flip the page again and again hoping for something. Something that i don't know what to expect, i just want to reassure myself that shiira san is still alive, just two days ago i talked to her, cleaned the classroom with her, she even grabbed my arms, it can't be, am I hallucinating? And I began to question my own sanity. Looks like I'm still unable to accept reality yet. But if its really shiira san who died a day before the school days, then who is the girl i met that day?, who is the girl who left this diary?Who is the girl who sat next to me in the classroom?I'm not that crazy to hallucinate in broad daylight. Who are you really shiira-san?................


Comments

Post a Comment